The Chamber of Schenectady County and The Schenectady County Chamber Foundation, Inc. are pleased to announce the Leonard K. Doviak Memorial Scholarship. This program has a twofold goal to enhance our community’s quality of life by:
preparing an educated citizenry for responsible roles within the workforce to strengthen the economic vitality of all communities within our county
create a corporate citizenship promoting the importance of community service and participation in community affairs
The Leonard K. Doviak Memorial Scholarship will recognize students whose educational and career goals are committed to those principles. Two Leonard K. Doviak Memorial Scholarships, in the amount of $1,000 each, will be awarded to students entering a two-year college or university in the Fall of 2006 to study in any field.
1. High-school senior legally residing and/or studying in Schenectady County.
2. Achievement of a high school academic grade-point-average ranging between 75 and 85%.
3. Intent to enroll full-time as a matriculated student in a two-year or four year, degree bearing college or university beginning in the Fall of 2006.
1. Submit completed application packet, to include:
a. Application form
b. Official high school transcript including attendance record and SAT scores
c. Two letters of recommendation from: a teacher, a school administrator or guidance
counselor; and one individual from the community other than a family member or
relative. The letters should address the merits of your candidacy for this award and
comment specifically on your character and abilities. At least one must address your
community service involvement or employment experience.
2. The committee will consider only completed application packets received by the Selection Committee by
Friday, April 28, 2006.
3. Completed application packets are to be mailed to:
Chairperson, Selection Committee
Leonard K. Doviak Memorial Scholarship
The Chamber of Schenectady County
306 State Street
Schenectady, NY 12305
1. The Committee will begin its review of the application materials on May 1, 2006
2. The Committee will select those finalists to be interviewed by May 8, 2006
3. Finalist candidates will be interviewed during the week of May 15-19, 2006
4. The scholarships will be awarded at a luncheon meeting and graduation of the Chamber’s Leadership class, scheduled for Wednesday, June 7, 2006.
Award Disbursement Procedure
1. The one-year, $1000 award will be paid directly to the college or university ($500 per semester) to cover
tuition, college expenses, fees, books, instructional supplies, and living expenses.
2. The student must remain a full-time, matriculated student to receive the entire monetary award.